Friday, April 24, 2009

My comments on the latest Star Trek movie which I got to preview on 22/04/09 @ Cineleisure

Comments were originally posted for the benefit of forum-ers of startrek.com.my

<>
Being a fan, I would give it a 4 of 5 star rating myself. Yes this movie may be watched and enjoyed by non fans too with almost equal enjoyment.

Honestly but embarassingly speaking, Im the type that can cry at the movies, so the opening scene when Kirk was being born (literally) and George is shown accepting his sacrificial death - that music score, that moment of "slow motion" - aiyo god-man, cannot fight the tears... very dramatic and too emotional indeed for me, for the lack of any better words to describe it.

Can't help it. I felt connected - not many people actually also name their first born son Riker Si James Tee Kirk for real at Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara. I mean, I too said to my wife when she was on the hospital bed - 'we'll call him Jim Kirk, and yes (greedy) we'll also call him Riker since he's our No.1 ..." So like I was there at that scene you know - in that sense it was that personal ...

Then whenever portions of the show had the camera showing NCC-1701 ... I was truly awed to tears again. So malu, no hanky just the popcorn box in hand... Not only is the - can I say 'new USS Enterprise" looking super sleek; never seen Pike or Kirk's Enterprise like *this* before. I mean make it so man, make it so... but (not to boast), whenever I see NCC-1701, I feel so *walaueh* inside - and those that know why I say so, would be able to appreciate the feelings too if in the same place.

Then finally the part I had been actually waiting for from the minute the show started - was actually a very 'please let it be' hope that these new producers would, ''follow the tradition' of Star Trek movies - which was to end the show with the original theme song. And yes, finally there was that good ol' ST TOS theme at the end - that moment really squeezed the core of tears out of my nacells ...

Wah, choking in tears that time, like watching a dramatic soap opera that-kind-oh ...

So why 4 out of 5 stars I give and not 5? Because of some of the cast's acting. But expected right, since these were not seasoned movie actors. Thought I cant help wondering what if the role of Kirk was played by that Bourne Identity fella - which he was originally supposed to. Someone care to share what happened - didnt keep in touch on the whys of it.

And not that you all reading my comments here actually care - I wish to see Captain Janeway and the crew of Voyager on the silver screen, with Seven of Nine and all. For me, surely more tears cos not everyone too would be fanatic enough to call one's eldest daughter (now 4 months) Seven Si Janeway

Make it so, engage, punch it!

RSI_PICARD out




<>

No comments: