Saturday, May 24, 2008

Today marks the death of my old faithful 5 year old 3Com wireless router


On 23rd May 2008, 5.30pm marks the day and time my faithful 5 year old 3Com wireless router model 3CRWE52196 died.

First, it showed a steady Amber ! exclamation mark - but the speed was still fantastic. As a matter of fact, one of the fastest I've ever experienced. Then, my wife complaint that she couldn't connect to the internet via her wireless notebook.

Checked the router and it looked ok except for that steady amber ! LED. Then without warning, my Ethernet wired connection failed too. Port 3 was dead. Strange - ethernet ports rarely fail individually... Tried port 4, works.

Checked the internal configuration - all looks ok - then even port 4 failed and soon, all the LEDs on the router blinked for its last time.

Funny. What crossed my mind was how it was blazing fast just before it died; making my mind think of stories people share of how 'active' and 'energetic' some people suddenly become just hours or even minutes before they pass away... (haven't heard of this?)

Anyway it was hot to the touch, and even more so the power adapter. No more blinking LED, nothing; just lot's of heat.

I lamented to my wife saying it had served me well for 5 years almost non-stop (as my computers are almost always connected to the internet 24/7)

Had to get a replacement immediately; how can we live without the Internet!

Jumped into my car, drove for 30mins towards the city and reached Mines Shopping Centre. To cut a long story short, here is my new Wireless router and of course it's a fantastic replacement at only RM145.00.


Nonetheless, this is still a special posting in memory of my old faithful 3Com; may its Ports rest and its LEDs finally be still.

No comments: